All About Letter Writing
If you look at the English syllabus of any student, you’ll notice that it includes not only grammar but also language/writing skills. The reason why topics like letter writing, speech writing, composing an email and others are included is to […]
If you look at the English syllabus of any student, you’ll notice that it includes not only grammar but also language/writing skills. The reason why topics like letter writing, speech writing, composing an email and others are included is to make sure that children develop the ability to write on their own from a young age. Writing on one’s own allows the children to probe deeper into their imagination and convey what they feel through words.
BYJU’S offers various speech topics that are appropriate for students of all ages. All one needs to do is go to the site and look up for english speech topics they want to prepare for. Before knowing why it is important to learn letter writing, one must know that letter-writing dates back many years. Previously letters were the only medium of communication that existed. Though even today, all-important and mainly official work is done through the correspondence of letters. In this article, we’ll learn how letters are written and what’s the importance of writing letters.
Types of Letter
Though there are different types of letters, students learn about two important types, i.e. the formal and informal letters. Let’s have a look at these two types of letters, which will help one to understand better.
- Formal letters – as the name suggests, the formal letters follow a particular way and a tone of formality. It is the formal letter format that differentiates itself from informal letters. The contents of the formal letters are kept professional and adhere to the concerned issues. These types of letters are generally written to the principal of any educational institution, head of any organization, or any person who holds a significant rank.
- Informal letters – if you want to write a letter to your friend or mother, or grandparents, then you’ll be writing informal letters. Informal letters are mainly written to convey one’s personal feelings to another person who’s near and dear to them. In informal letters, one can include the tiniest details of one’s life if they wish to convey it to the other person.
Importance of Writing Letters
One might often wonder what’s the need to write letters in the era of social media where one can reach one another within seconds. Here are some key points that will help you understand why letter writing skill is essential.
- Helps to convey – while one writes letters, they convey what they feel. Letter writing helps the students to put into words what they want to convey. This way, they learn from a young age how to express themselves and use appropriate words for that.
- Forms a personal bond – though, in the 21st-century, one can reach the other person through mails or via social media, yet writing letters holds a special place. Especially teaching kids how to write informal letters helps them to develop and work on personal bonds on a deeper level. Sending a letter to one’s grandparents on Christmas is far more precious than sending them a ‘Merry Christmas’ over mail or social media.
- A way for documentation – Letters act as proof of documentation of any event or as a source of information. These letters can be used/presented as evidence in case of any lawsuits.
This article will take the students through not only the importance of letter writing skills but also teach them the two important types of letters they would learn in school, which would help them in future.